GLOVER, William (1559-1629), of High House, Campsey Ash, Suff.
Available from Cambridge University Press
Family and Educationbap. 18 Feb. 1559,1 o.s. of John Glover of Campsey Ash and Jane. m. 1586, Elizabeth (bur. 19 Mar. 1632), da. of Edward Ward of Bixley, Norf., 3s. (1 d.v.p.) 3da. (1 d.v.p.).2 suc. fa. 1568.3 d. 8 Mar. 1629.4
?Steward to Thomas Howard, 1st earl of Suffolk, by 1613.7
Glover’s father bought the manor of More Hall in the parish of Campsey Ash, east Suffolk, early in Elizabeth’s reign, and was assessed at £16 in land for the subsidy of 1566.8 Glover himself was described as a servant of the lord chamberlain, Thomas Howard, 1st earl of Suffolk, and in late 1613 was appointed to take possession of the manor of Framlingham in Suffolk on the earl’s behalf, suggesting that he was Suffolk’s estate steward.9 It was presumably Suffolk who recommended him as surveyor of the Crown’s lands in Norfolk and Suffolk. Glover acquired a grant of arms in 1612 and also the manor of Frostenden, where he probably built the house in which his descendents resided. He was able to secure a marriage portion of £600 for his eldest son in 1619, with Thomas Cornwallis I* as one of the trustees of the settlement.10 He may have been the man of that surname who was sent by Sir Henry Hobart* in 1620 to inquire about the election writs for Suffolk.11It was probably Cornwallis who secured Glover’s election for Orford, less than eight miles from Campsey Ash, in 1624. The former was one of the executors of the will of Sir Michael Stanhope*, who had been the dominant electoral patron in the borough until his death in 1621. Stanhope had granted his executors control over his estate for three years from his death.12 However, Glover took no known part in the last Jacobean Parliament, and it is unlikely that he stood again. After drawing up his will on 23 Oct. 1628, he died the following year and was buried at Campsey Ash on 16 Mar. 1629, the only member of his family to sit in Parliament.13
Ref Volumes: 1604-1629
Authors: John. P. Ferris / Ben Coates
Add. 19096, f. 77.
- 1. Add. 19113, f. 243v.
- 2. Add. 19132, f. 67; Vis. Norf. (Harl. Soc. lxxxv), 83.
- 3. Add. 19096, f. 67.
- 4. C142/451/95.
- 5. CSP Dom. 1603-10, p. 508; 1611-18, pp. 4, 88.
- 6. C181/2, ff. 95, 174v, 270v; 181/3, ff. 13v, 74, 193v, 232v.
- 7. Suff. RO (Ipswich), HD 1538/226/3.
- 8. Add. 19096, ff. 67, 77; Suff. in 1568 ed. S.H.A. Hervey (Suff. Green Bks. xii), 183; W.A. Copinger, Manors of Suff. iv. 133.
- 9. Add. 19132, f. 67.
- 10. Add. 19132, f. 69; Grantees of Arms ed. W.H. Rylands (Harl. Soc. lxvi), 101; Suckling, Suff. ii. 319, 321; C142/451/95.
- 11. Bodl. Tanner 290, f. 54.
- 12. PROB 11/139, f. 77.
- 13. Suff. RO (Ipswich), IC/AA1/65/102; Add. 19096, f. 77.