FULLER, Samuel (1646-1721), of South Quay, Great Yarmouth, Norf.

Published in The History of Parliament: the House of Commons 1660-1690, ed. B.D. Henning, 1983
Available from Boydell and Brewer



Feb. 1701

Family and Education

bap. 20 Dec. 1646, 1st s. of John Fuller, merchant, of Yarmouth. m. 6 May 1673, Rose, da. of Richard Huntington of Yarmouth, 3s. (2 d.v.p.) 3da. suc. fa. 1673.1

Offices Held

Freeman, Yarmouth 1672, alderman 1676-84, Oct. 1688-d., bailiff 1679-80, 1698-9, mayor 1707-8; commr. for assessment, Yarmouth 1679-80, Norf. and Yarmouth 1689-90; capt. of militia ft. Yarmouth 1689-?d.; j.p. Norf. by 1690-?d.2


Fuller’s father, who became a freeman of Yarmouth in 1649, signed the loyal address from the corporation of Yarmouth to Richard Cromwell in 1658, but was confirmed in office as common councilman by Charles II’s charter of 1663, and three years later acquired a large house on the quayside. Fuller himself belonged to the Whig party on the corporation, opposing the surrender of the charter in 1683. He was first returned for the borough at the general election of 1689, replacing his father-in-law, who had been elected to James II’s abortive Parliament. An active Member of the Convention, he was appointed to 37 committees, including those to examine prisoners of state (19 Mar.), to inquire into the exactions of customs officials (5 Apr.), to hear an interloper’s petition against the East India Company (18 Apr.), to prepare a bill regulating Norwich stuffs (11 May), and to consider the toleration bill (15 May). With his senior colleague George England, Fuller was responsible for recommending the refugee dean of Ross as lecturer at Yarmouth, and a few days later he was the second Member named to the committee for the relief of the Irish clergy. At the beginning of July he was appointed to the committees for prohibiting imports from France, reversing Titus Oates’s conviction for perjury, and drafting an address for leave to inspect the Privy Council records relating to Ireland. But he had left Westminster for his constituency before the King’s negative answer was reported to the House on 13 July. He came up with England and Sir William Cook for the second session, and was appointed to the committee for restoring corporations; but he did not support the disabling clause. His other committees included those to inquire into the expenses and miscarriages of the war (1 Nov.), and to consider a general oath of allegiance (21 Jan. 1690). Under William III he remained a Whig, though sometimes in association with England taking an independent line, especially over matters of commerce. ‘Conspicuous for justice, prudence and piety’, he died on 19 May 1721, aged 75, and was buried in St. Nicholas, Yarmouth. An inscription recorded that he was ‘sent as burgess to that memorable Convention in the year 1688 [old style] and many later Parliaments’. His son John stood unsuccessfully for the borough in 1727, and sat for Plympton Erle from 1728 to 1734.3

Ref Volumes: 1660-1690

Author: Eveline Cruickshanks


  • 1. Gt. Yarmouth par. reg.; C. J. Palmer, Perlustration of Yarmouth, ii. 148-9; D. Turner, Sepulchral Reminiscences. 35-36.
  • 2. Cal. Freemen, 105; H. Swinden, Hist. Yarmouth, 952-4; Diary of Dean Davies (Cam. Soc. lxviii), 24, 56; Norf. Ltcy. Jnl. (Norf. Rec. Soc. xxx), 117, 140.
  • 3. Cal. Freemen, 81; C. J. Palmer, Hist. Yarmouth, 215; SP29/422/90; Diary of Dean Davies, 57; Swinden, 866.