CAREW, Richard (1641-91), of Abertanat, Salop.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
bap. 21 Apr. 1641, 6th but 4th surv. s. of Sir Alexander Carew, 2nd Bt.†; bro. of Sir John Carew, 3rd Bt.* m. lic. 31 July 1674, Penelope, da. and coh. of Rice Tanat of Abertanat, s.p.1
Sub-commr. prizes, Plymouth ?1689–d.2
Returned for Saltash on his family’s interest in 1690, Carew was listed as a Whig by Lord Carmarthen (Sir Thomas Osborne†) in March 1690, and by Robert Harley* in April 1691 as a Court supporter. His one parliamentary action of note was consistent with this as on 17 May he acted as a teller for the motion that the right of election for New Windsor lay in the mayor, bailiffs and select burgesses only, a franchise which favoured the Court Whig candidates. He made his will at Plymouth on 22 Aug. 1691, leaving most of his property to his brother. He was replaced as a sub-commissioner at Plymouth on 15 Sept. and buried at Antony on the 18th. After his death a dispute arose over the property he had inherited through his wife in Denbighshire, Montgomeryshire and Shropshire, which it was claimed should have reverted to his sisters-in-law upon payment of £4,000 by his executors, rather than go to his heir, his nephew, Sir Richard Carew, 4th Bt. In the event, in January 1698 the House of Lords reversed a decree in the 4th baronet’s favour.3