SYMCOTS, William, of Huntingdon.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
Prob. s. of John Symcots, merchant of London, by Elizabeth. m. Alice, da. of Barnard Copes of Hunts., 3da., or 1s. 2da.
Symcots was licensed to keep a tavern in Huntingdon in April 1555. He was probably the William Symcots who in 1535 had rented property at Sawtrey, Huntingdonshire, from the abbot of St. Mary Sawtrey, and who later acquired houses and land at Leighton Bromswold and Huntingdon. About 1558 died George Symcots, a justice of the peace for Huntingdonshire, and possibly William’s brother, leaving property in Fennystanton in the county. William and another relative, John Symcots of London, became involved in a Chancery case over the lease of some of this land. In 1564 Symcots was described as one of ‘the ancient of the corporation’, earnest in religion. No later reference to him has been found.
Harl. 890, f. 45; Cam. Misc. ix(3), p. 29; C219/26/37; Huntingdon Recs. 97; CPR, 1553-4, p. 20; 1554-5, p. 130; LP Hen. VIII, xii(2), p. 468; xx(1), p. 318; Cal. Feet of Fines, Hunts. ed. Turner (Camb. Antiq. Soc. Pubs. oct. ser. xxxvii), 131, 157; PCC 22 Welles; VCH Hunts. ii. 283.