LUTWYCHE, Sir Edward (1634-1709), of Lutwyche Hall, Easthope, Salop.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. 6 Sept. 1634, o.s. of William Lutwyche of Lutwyche Hall by Elizabeth, da. of Richard Lister of Rowton Castle. educ. Shrewsbury 1644; L. Inn 1652; G. Inn 1654, called 1661, ancient 1671. m. by 1659, Anne, da. of Sir Timothy Tourneur of Bold, 2s. (1 d.v.p.) 3da. suc. gdfa. 1638; kntd. 14 Nov. 1684.1
J.p. Salop 1673-89, Cheshire 1684-5; commr. for recusants, Salop 1675, assessment, Salop 1677-80, Cheshire and Chester 1677-9, recorder and alderman, Chester 1684-5; c.j. Chester circuit Nov. 1685-6.2
Serjeant-at-law 1683, King’s serjeant 1684; j.c.p. 21 Apr. 1686-9.
Lutwyche’s family had resided at the property from which they took their name since at least 1418. One of them sat for Bridgnorth in four Elizabethan Parliaments. A successful provincial lawyer, Lutwyche succeeded Sir Edward Herbert as Member for Ludlow at a by-election in 1685 held two days before the issue of the writ, and Parliament was prorogued before he could be appointed to any committees. In the following year he was promoted to the court of common pleas. As one of the judges who had supported the dispensing power, though not in ecclesiastical cases, he was excepted from the Act of Indemnity in 1690. He returned to his practice, though he was fined as a non-juror at the York assizes in 1693, and continued at the bar until 1704. He died in June 1709 and was buried at St. Bride’s Fleet Street. His son Thomas, also a lawyer, sat as a Tory for various constituencies from 1710 to 1734.3